“Step by Step!” Association
Our organization is the only one in Hungary today that advocates for centrally paralyzed children (cerebral palsy – CP) and their families. It was founded in 2011 by parents raising children with CP. Nowadays, we have grown into a national organization focusing on issues that affect all people with disabilities.
Our goal since 2011 has been making the lives of families caring for children with disabilites more accessible.
OUR MAIN ACTIVITIES
- working on local and national issues
- advocacy, community organizing, coalition building, lobbying
- facilitating the creation of new advocacy groups
- organizing professional, cultural and family programs
- fundraising for families in need
- supporting treatments from abroad
OUR ASSOCIATION HAS BEEN SUCCESSFUL IN MANY AREAS…
- From 2019, the amount of care allowance was renamed to children’s homecare benefit and the amount was increased to 100 000 HUF (360 EUR) and by 2022 it will reach the amount of the minimum wage.
- 5% increase in care allowance and 50 000 HUF benefit for persons of retiring age who have provided long-term care at home for 20 years.
- The launch of the School of Tomorrow inclusive study group where children with disabilities can learn together with typically developing children. For more information click here.
- Our video about home care has almost 800 000 views.
- Over 35 000 signatures to raise the amount of care allowance and to recognise home care as work.
- 5% increase in the amount of care allowance
- A report from the Commissioner for Fundamental Rights: government funding should be provided to ensure the necessary conditions for education including communication development with eye-tracking devices.
- We raised approximately 8.5 million HUF for children with disabilities to buy assistive technlogies and severvices they need
- We provided opportunities for cultural and free time activities for approximately 100 families (e.g. theatre).
- Trainings and eye tracking devices for 14 children and teachers. The organization and implementation of three national conferences with the participation of people living with disabilities, their families, experts and decision-makers.
- The introduction of SDR – selective dorsal rhizotomy surgery in Hungary.
THE ISSUES WE WORK ON
- Providing information about Cerebral Palsy(CP)
- Equal access to communication for children who cannot speak or use their hands to write
- Improving the circumstances of people living on care allowance
- Organizing cultural and free time activities for families raising children with disabilities
- Fundraising for children living with disabilities: treatments and equipment
- Introducing new surgical solutions and therapies in Hungary
OUR PLANS FOR A MORE ACCESSIBLE FUTURE
- Improving the living conditions of parents providing home care: to raise the amount of care allowance and to have it recognized as a form of employment
- Establishing an inclusive school and changing the existing legislation regarding the education of children with disabilities to provide access to education for all children
- Housing and social care of persons living with disabilities
- State funding for assistive technology to facilitate independent living
- Equal access to communication and education
- Operating an online information portal about CP
- Organizing trainings about the use of alternative-augmentative communication and eye tracking devices for teachers, professionals and parents
- Introducing the use of eye tracking devices in schools, hospitals and institutions
- Organizing and implementing conferences
- Operating a legal aid service program for families raising children with disabilities
- Coalition building, implementing joint campaigns
IBAN: HU37 1620 0106 1162 6691 0000 0000
Address: 6 Templomkert u., 2094 Nagykovácsi, Hungary